The largest capital and equity marketplace for senior real estate players
Europe GRI is a get-together of senior investors, lenders and developers active in the European real estate market.
Much like a conversation in your own living room, the discussion format enables you to interact and engage. Quickly find the right partners for your business, build high value relationships, and continue the conversation afterwards.
Forecasting European Markets in a Global Economic Context
Inflation, interest rates & recession fears; where do we go from here?
- Inflation - How high can we go?
- Interest Rates - An end to the long term low interest rate environment or can we expect rates to decline in the short term?
- Potential Recession - Will the super cycle finally come to an end and what impacts could this have on economic factors & pricing landscapes?
- Political Volatility - How to navigate the markets in a time of geopolitical tensions
Jamie has been Chief European Economist for Bloomberg Economics in London since 2015. He has previously worked at HM Treasury, the New Zealand Treasury and the U.K. Office for Budget Responsibility. He holds a PhD in economics from the University of Sheffield.
Investors' Talkshow - Edge of an economic void or always reasons to be optimisitc?
- The Cycle - Investing in the current inflationary and economic slowdown
- ESG - Constraints vs consumer retention
- Monetary Policy - Can we expect intervention?
- Working the Assets - Winner, Losers, Locations
- Buy, Sell & Lending Opportunities or Wait & See is Best?
- Future of Work & Live - How have demands changed?
Volatile Debt Markets
Who is lending and on what?
- Defining the current debt funding gap - Where are we?
- Demand shifts - Understanding bankers' conservatism
- Shorter term loans - Will alternative lenders take a larger market share in mezz loans?
- Competition - Will refinancing play a bigger role and what's the case for senior loans?
- Development, structuring and financing of alternative financing transactions
- Negotiations and due diligence
- Alternative Finance Allocations - Any downside to increased debt demand?
New ammo for Secondary Funds or price & process mis-fire?
- LP, GP & Secondary Fund Appetite - Why the rise in popularity for recaps?
- Retaining Fee Income - Any losers in the process?
- Retaining Asset Income -LPs & GP's both benefit or needs work?
- Secondary Funds - Room to grow or is a niche market?
Operational Resi Scale-Up
Risky business as usual or exploding inflation costs too hot to handle?
- Escalating Utility & Construction Costs - Finding yields despite exploding costs?
- Debt Liquidity - Financing flight to quality; what assets and locations will be in trouble?
- Demand & Supply Imbalance - Is now the time to scale up?
- Urban Location Opportunities - Neighbourhood assisted living to diversify portfolios & bridge supply gap?
- Leasing Models - Can greater flexibility innovate the product offering?
Global volatility affecting yield size or optimism on brisk deal flow?
- Market Corrections - Are they on the horizon?
- Investment Deals - Steap investment appetite for value-add & core/core + deals, where to find more?
- Competition - Mapping deals, diversifying asset classes and location to gain competitive advantage?
- Financing Opportunities - Gaps in funding needs to leave lucrative openings for investors to fill in the ‘middle of the capital stack’?
- JVs & Partnerships - Growth driver for GPs & LPs partnerships on solid deals?
- Mapping Risks & Future Challenges - Conservative allocations or upside to more returns on a wider range of deals?
CEE Rental Growth
Resilient despite adversity or optimism will be displaced?
- CEE as Europe’s Strategic Gateway - How has the war with Ukraine impacted international investor optimism?
- Pricing up Logistics & Offices - Are they sustainable with rising debt costs, under market uncertainty?
- Displacement into CEE - What challenges and opportunities to occupier demands and what asset classes affected most?
- International & Domestic Appetite -If moving from a zero interest rate environment are yields sustainable?
- Why do CEE rents lag behind other European markets? How will cap rates perform over the next short to medium term?
- Poland the safest bet for finding value or pricing played out? Where are the new opportunity locations?
Venture Capital & Tech Focused Funds
Capital heatwave or funding performance flow reversal?
- Technology-focused Funds - Significant amount of capital invested or a drop in the bucket?
- New Bets - Own use of resources or outside capital and partnerships to pivot bigger equity flows?
- Local & Global Markets - Defiance when accessing them or inefficient and fragmented landscape of markets and asset classes?
- Main Challenges - Increased competition, misallocation of capital or "Minsky moment" with funding levels drop and valuations rise?
Future Occupier Demands
Landlords ESG strategies panning out or not hitting the mark?
- Occupier Demands - What ESG considerations are tenants and talent looking for in real estate?
- Social & Governance Measuring - Working with tenants to gain more transparency
- Connecting Affordability & Sustainability - Can we make the numbers work?
- Wellbeing - Attracting & retaining tenants with new strategies?
- Sustainability - How viable are retn premiums really?
Cycle d’investissement en France
Besoin de corrections radicales de valeur ou encore de raisons d'être optimiste ?
- Où en sommes-nous dans le cycle d’investissement?
- Comment les risques géopolitiques nationaux et mondiaux influencent-ils l’économie française et le secteur immobilier?
- Quelle classe d’actifs se défend le mieux contre l’inflation?
- L’ESG est-il l’élément principal lors d’une évaluation des valeurs et du risque/rendement des portefeuilles?
- Quels sont les futurs investissements de création de valeur dans l’immobilier d’entreprise?
Back to pre COVID pricing or risks still to navigate?
- Regulations in the Markets - Closing off opportunities for lenders?
- Interest Rate Spikes - Is senior debt still a viable option to achieve decent yields?
- Debt Leveraging - Risk assessment & pricing in dissonance?
- Relative Risk Reward - Location vs asset classes
- Green Lending - Aligning standards across the markets
COVID accelerators, displacement or affordability?
- Displacement - Demand uptake across asset classes in which locations?
- Flight to Quality - What assets will become hot properties and which ones will see a drop in valuations?
- The New Tenant Demand - ESG, affordability or amenities; what are occupiers really looking for?
- Ageing Society - How to bridge the gap of suitable product?
- Location Game - City centres still on top or will new neighbourhoods emerge?
- Demand for Resi - Have we only seen the beginning of chronic lack of suitable housing?
Logistics & Light Industrial Growth
Supply chain, displacement or stock risks?
- Building for Resilience - What current risk impacts on supply chains, how are investors, owners, developers underwriting?
- Rental Growth - Underwriting investor confidence?
- Emerging Demand Drivers - ESG, New Tech & E-commerce
- Transaction & Investment Activity Stats
- Accelerated Challenges & Opportunities -Low vacancy, nearshoring , land availability & e-commerce
- Urban Demand - Is there a shift in traditional logistics hotspots and will there be a crunch?
FDI into Italy
Deep opportunity pool or shallow buying stock?
- Looking for Value-add - Where and what are the hottest deals?
- Demand vs Supply - Lack of supply influencing the deal size and investment value?
- International & Local Investors Look Out - Partnering with the locals to find the hidden gems?
- Financing - Liquidity challenge or alternative way to go?
Value-add upswing, core haven or saturated market?
- Saturated Market - Where to find new opportunities & products?
- Potential Recession - Decrease in spending matched with inflation impacting investment & transaction behaviour - how will we go forward?
- Geopolitical Volatility - Impacts on supply chains and real estate demand
- Investment Appetite - Moving up the risk curve?
Real Estate Data 'Quo'
Overused complex tools or still a mountain of value to build?
- Data-driven Indicators - The key business driver into decision-making processes for capital investment and financial transactions?
- Scailing Strategies - Use of data while gaining competitive advantage?
- Digitalization - Boosting new investment strategies or still need to identify opportunities and gaps?
- Data Transformation - Strong value creation and mitigation of risk for capital or multiple constraints under uncertainty?
- ESG, Tech & Innovation - Digitalisation the new way forward?
- Complexity & Industry Challenges - What's next for unlocking more investment to rapidly growing digital trends and industry collaboration?
Taxonomy as value creation or danger of greenwashing?
- Regulations - How to create value out of SFDR & the EU/UK Taxonomy?
- Aligning Investment Approaches with SDGs
- Green Finance - Sustainability linked and green loans, is there confusion in the market? Growing popularity across lenders, what are they looking for from investors and asset managers?
- Circular Economy - When & how will it be included in the EU taxonomy?
- Impact on Value - How will ESG be factored into valuations going forward?
- Creating Science-Based Net Zero Pathways & Targets
Investing in France
Who you know, not size of wallet?
- Inbound Investment & Global Capital Appetite - Winners, losers decided by on ground connections?
- Does French real estate offer competitive returns for foreign capital? Will we see institutional or private capital shine?
- Is the competitive debt market offering new and attractive entry points?
- Co-invest, Club-deal, OPCI and other forms of investment - what are the preferred practices today?
He worked on all types operations: development, yield investment, property trading transactions and supervised more than 500 commercial Real Estate transactions. Jean-Philippe started his career structuring Real Estate investment funds. He then moved to BNP PARIBAS where he held various positions in the Real Estate market. Jean-Philippe graduated from IEP Paris and ASSAS University, Paris.
2022 just what the doctor ordered or inflation a bitter pill?
- State of Europe - Safest haven or inflation and geopolitical dangerzone?
- Risk Appetite & Underwriting Through Market Volatility
- Pricing Along the Risk Curve -Cyclical downturn vs structural shifts, how to adapt?ca
- Market Distortion - Non-cyclical cool down of the markets?
Buying spree or are performance indicators getting harder to predict?
- Assessing Rates & Rental Growth - Where will the value add performance come from?
- Office Rental Growth – actual growth or “re-calibration” of Grade A?
- Office sector Innovation – Amenity, flex, hybrid working, “hotelisation; Are Landlords driving sufficient innovation?
- ESG – how consistent is risk pricing?
- Interest rates – has the office sector already repriced?
Multifamily & SFR Rental Boom
Impossible with construction & inflation or yields a given?
- Risk, Reward & Resilience - Which living sub sectors are ones to buy, which to sell, and where?
- Yields, Rents & Rates - Business as usual or inflation risk shaking things up?
- SFR Boom - The new diversification asset class?
- Urban Growth & Return to Work - Repurposing offering new opportunities?
- Liquidity in the Markets - Who’s lending where and in what products?
- Governmental Intervention - Will we see rent caps going forward?
Core Logistics Yields
Location vs innovation?
- Low Yield Environment - How to find value?
- Innovation - Spec, multi-storey, super light or different locations?
- Core Logistics - defined by esg, location or something else?
- Do secondary locations exist in logistics these days?
Only with E-Commerce or bricks ‘n’ mortar making a comeback?
- Buy, Sell or Diversify? How to gain value out of retail assets?
- Pricing & Lending Opportunities & Challenges
- Metaverse, Automation & Digitisation - Is new tech opening doors for high street retail?
- Customer Experience - What structural changes will stick around?
- Innovating Retail - Breathing new life into high streets and shopping malls
Smarter data uses or lack of institutionalized partnerships?
- Smart Tech - What is most applicable for BTR & what benefits will it bring?
- Integrated Tech - What considerations need to be made from an investor and developer side before construction begins?
- Shifts in Products - What features might be necessary to stay relevant vs which ones might put you ahead of the competition?
- Tenant Experience - Can third parties help in creating communities inside the building as well as with the local community?
- The Cost of Technology - How will this shift balance sheet considerations and impact return on investment?
How can real estate investors best mitigate climate risks?
Special Presentation: *Impact of Climate Change on European Real Estate Returns – flowing through yields or capex cost?
- Aligning ESG Strategies with Required Investment Returns
- Capital Allocation Strategies - ESG Incorporations in Risk Assessments
- Portfolio Considerations – Future proofing values as energy efficiency retrofits are phased into business plans
- Measuring Outcomes - Is CRREM the new universal frameworks facilitating reliable climate positive actions?
- How can ESG Disclosure Confirm Sustainable Investment Returns over Longer Investment cycles?
ESG & Net Zero
Nécessaires par peur d’obsolescence ou vraie création de valeur ?
- Stratégies d’allocation du capital - Comment trouver un compromis entre ESG et les fondamentaux de l’investissement ?
- Données et mesures - Quels indicateurs et objectifs les investisseurs pourraient-ils utiliser pour atteindre les exigences ESG en France ?
- Impacts réglementaires - Nécessité d’ajuster les portefeuilles ou le risque des actifs bloqués ?
- Créer des bâtiments aux règles ESG - Impact du bien-être sur la rétention et l’attraction des locataires ?
Everyone’s a winner or competition flattening returns?
- Large vs. Small Funds, Shorter vs Longer Fundraising Cycles - Where's the value?
- Debt Funds Competition - Enough for all to play?
- Is the Competition Concentrated on Certain Assets?
- Time to Slow Down? Is the goldrush to deploy capital resulting in bigger premiums for deals and eating into returns?
Location, location, diversification?
- Offices, Multifamily & Logistics Only Way for Core?
- How are Core Investors Competiting? Is it time to rethink Locations as the value finder?
- Supply Demand Imbalance In Core Locations Leading to a Pricing Imbalance?
- Pricing Risks - Any differentiations between locations & markets?
Buyers up and up or braced for pricing fall?
Buyers up and up or braced for pricing fall?
Size matters or happy in the middle of capital stack?
- Transaction Volumes - Significant investment activity & deals highlights
- Mapping Capital - Measuring risky or ready for value capture when raising and allocating capital?
- LPs & GPs Partnerships - Innovate fundraising and capital injection structures?
- Investment Deals - Same asset appetite or repurposing of strategies with current pricing?
- Future Challenges & Cross-border Capital - How to stand-out and from where to attract and retain more capital?
Future of Industrial Spec Dev & BTS - Customer is king, can we meet the demand?
- What does the occupier need these days, can real estate adapt to cater?
- Smarter Warehousing & Industrial - Hybrid assets, AI, or more digital ESG tech?
- Robotics & Tech
- Smart Buildings & Operations
- ESG vs Super Light Industrial - Can the two co-exist?